Mar 10, 2021

Castle of Sand

I build my castle of sand
With enthusiasm and optimism abound
Knowing well as the day would pass
I'll find it in shambles, down to the ground 

Is it the waves that decimate it
Or the wind that's being merciless
Maybe its the foundation, left unreinforced
And it painfully crumbles nonetheless

Maybe I am building it wrong
Not knowing what really would make it strong
As each night sees the light of the day
I gather myself and start building right away

Each passing day makes me realize
What's built today may be gone tomorrow
But each iteration makes me see
I have a fresh chance to make it right

One day I might have to stop
And not have the strength to carry on
I might be reluctant to see a castle half built
And see it perish, eventually gone

Would I have the strength to not cry that day
Or ponder on things that could have been
Would I be helpless, resigned to fate
Or recount the opportunities I should have seen

I would have built it to my best
No reason to believe why I should suffer
Trying to remember how it all began
The reason to build it might seem a blur

That distant future isn't here yet
None of it will happen is what I hope
So for today and every day after
I just gather myself, be ready to cope

I will rebuild my castle of sand
With enthusiasm and optimism abound
After many years and then some more
No one would find it down to the ground

No comments: