Oct 31, 2006

I dreamt one night...

It was one of those fine experiences when you just cant be sure whether it is the reality of the dream or the dream itself, that is more fascinating.

I was driving a car along an endless road. The curves and the winds of the road would last till eternity, but what made the trip worth remembering was the mesmerising slopes of snow clad mountains on one side and large mass of ice cold water on the other side. The reflection of the mountain slopes in the water would, occasionally, be distorted by ripples through water, created by the cold breeze that was blowing through the valley.

Though not alone in the journey, most of my driving was aimed at leaving the other guy far behind. Yes there was this other guy who would look at me and laugh every time he overtook me. I was determined to overtake him the next time and leave him so far behind that he would never be able to catch up.

Thus began the need for speed, cruising at amazing speeds, negotiating every twist and turn in the hostile environment where snow and cold water were equally fatal. And all of a sudden I have this co-passenger, a girl whose face i couldnt possibly relate to anyone I know, who opened the door of the car to have a look at the view outside and feel the breeze as I manouvered the vehicle through another turn. But the speed and the force was too much I guess, because she got pushed overboard and rolled along the road bruising badly.

I stopped the car and ran back to see whether she was OK. Obviously she was not ok. Having bruised badly and blood gushing out of her forehead and arms, she required immediate medical help. All I could do was gather her in my arms, bring her back to the car and stare helplessly around in the hostile environment for help. The other car fellow was long one unaware of the mishap.

In retrospect when I think of this dream and wonder what made me feel this way, I really dont have an answer. Usually one would dream of someone already known or atleast "dream to know". But this was not the case. The girl that fell out of my car never really had a face. An absolute stranger and for whom I took all the pains and efforts I could, to save her.

Never had an "act two" of the dream again. But here is just some food for thought. What are dreams anyway? I would say its just the subconscious mind at work doing some serious thinking. Pondering endlessly over what goes around you in the conscious world, and these things will eventually make their way into the subconscious arena and be visualized as a dream.

No comments: