Jun 2, 2006

Little Angel

I was standing at that phase of life where school and college had done their best to groom me and a brand new world was waiting for me to reach out. Soon I took up a job and was excelling well. Being grateful to the education I have had, I took the privilege to live a well to do life, away from the real struggles.

During course of a seminar that I attended, there was an appeal for people to come forward and give back to the society, starting in any humble way one could. They were arranging a field trip to the areas of the city where people were less privileged. Curiosity got the most of me and I went along. The sight that met my eyes was not a pleasing one.

People were living, rather surviving, devoid of basic education bringing in unemployment and poverty. The NGO volunteers were explaining how all could help to levitate these people from their plight. While listening to their plea, I glanced across to a little girl playing by herself, unaware of what was going on around her. "Hello there. What is you name? What do you do?” I asked. She looked back with bright eyes and a vibrant smile. "I am Jyoti. I would like to go to school”. That reply caught my attention. She deserved to go to school, but poverty was holding her back. I decided to do something. A humble way to repay the society. I volunteered with the NGO to bear the expense of Jyoti's education. My eagerness was rightly aided by the NGO volunteers and I was promised that they would watch the progress of the girl and keep me informed.

Jyoti started her schooling soon. She was a bright student. The brightest of all, doing well in Math and English. I arranged a visit to the school, later that month, to see her. She had written her name on a slate and was showing it to me with great pride. The little angel was getting what she deserved.

Soon, I moved out of the city and took a job elsewhere. But the NGO kept me aware of Jyoti's excellence at academics and other socio-cultural activities. As her name suggests, she was a bright light that would shed the darkness of illiteracy and ignorance. Over the years, I stopped getting letters from the NGO. "Obviously", I thought. She must have moved on from school to college and then to wherever destiny would take her.

I am retiring next year. Life has had its pace. And today as I see my children do well in their professions, somehow I am reminded of the little angel who must be about their age. Just a bit older.

Last month, some money matters took me to a bank. With all the advances in the banking procedures and influence of technology, it was rather difficult to find out things as simple as opening an account. But the banking executive assured me with all the formalities without much waiting. I was gratified with such warm treatment. "What is your name young lady?", I asked. There was a moment of silence.

The little angel then drew a slate from under the table and wrote her name for me.

No comments: